Crochet for beginners

March 13, 2013

Victoria visited this weekend and the highlight of her visit had to be learning to crochet both a flower and a square courtesy of her Gran's patient tutelage. Sadly I can't crochet, I wanted to learn at one point and I do remember once asking my mother to teach me; the answer was "teach yourself - that's the way I learned." Ah well, it just goes to show how folk mellow with age and how grandchildren manage to soften the hardest crochet heart...I'm mightily impressed with Victoria, she began this new hobby by crocheting baby hats of various sizes but you can only crochet so many of these before you get bored, so she has moved on to flowers which is good news for lovely presents of corsage brooches and flowery garlands. Next she mastered a square using a pattern from Mollie Makes. I'm quite addicted to this magazine, I love all the projects!

The whole weekend turned out to be very homemade. Saturday evening we had Nigella Lawson's Greek lamb stew which we have had a couple of times at a friend's house and absolutely adored. I don't think mine turned out exactly the same as Lynne's but it still was very tasty and I'll definitely make it again - recommended for parties and I suspect if you have made loads it tastes all the more delicious reheated the following day. Sara made a gorgeous yoghurt cake for dessert which we ate warm from the oven with créme fraiche and raspberries - then we had to all go lie down, it was like Christmas!





Sunday continued with more crafting; Victoria moved on to mastering crocheted squares - Hello snug blankets! and Sara played about with my stamps and ended up with a cute little card. The house was a riot but who cares, it was fun.





There is no truth to the rumour that I lost patience sewing the crochet flowers onto the crocheted hat - just a little crazy moment caught...



1 comment:

Carol said...

Good on Victoria and Gran!!! What a gift it is to teach and be taught. And something like crochet or knitting, it's a skill to pass on.

You always remember who taught you these crafts. I remember my Aunty Lil taught me to crochet, and it makes me smile every time I think of it.

Love that last photo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan