Cromlix

October 09, 2011

I have to start this post with a confession; I lied about the healthy eating and giving up wine, well I lied about part of it. We have certainly been eating healthy low fat meals courtesy of Rosemary Conley recipes but I only got to Tuesday before Mr. K suggested some wine; our friends were also distressed at the thought of their new abstemious buddies - what can you do when faced with this kind of peer group pressure, I need Rosemary to come live with me, be my friend and make me spend my spare time working out to her DVDs and not hang out with buddies who like wine. You know who you are...

The weekend started on Friday with a glass of wine at our local pub with the aforesaid buddies, admittedly, my idea and then we decided to eat at a neighbourhood restaurant Wee Cucina, we had the piccoli piatti (small plates) of different dishes which we all shared. Good start to the weekend.

Saturday, Mr K and I headed to Cromlix House. This was a Groupon deal I bought way back in March and promptly forgot about until recently. The deal was a glass of bubbly, afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast for two for £145 instead of £366. When I tried to book there was no way I could get a Saturday night unless I upgraded to a suite for an extra £25, so that's what I did. The hotel is independently run and marketed as a country house hotel with some quirks. Our suite was massive, we had our own sitting room, think shabby chic with a hint of great Granny; our sitting room had pale yellow wing armchairs with blue tartan blankets, pink and floral frilly cushions, floral curtains, a writing desk and a blue carpet.  The bedroom was massive complete with tartan chaise longue, I kept expecting the chamber maid to come in and light the fires, sadly that didn't happen. No complaints about dinner, my venison was lovely, its just I don't do four courses very well, especially after afternoon tea; I managed three but then felt like I needed to go lie down so I couldn't even consider ordering a dessert, and that is unheard of for me! The photographs are of the reception area with log fire and what was probably the original drawing room. The rain finally stopped this morning so we had a quick stroll round the gardens before leaving but as usual I didn't have the right gear on - should have been Hunter wellies and gillets not my inadequate pumps, ah well!

Would we go back? If we hadn't been there with the Groupon deal then our one night would have cost us £446.05. Our final bill included £16.90 for two gin and tonics, £26.75 for a bottle of Merlot and £1.30 for a Sunday newspaper... need I say more, the answer is no.










2 comments:

Charles Jamieson said...

I like this.

Carol said...

Terrific photos, especially the first and the last. Just love your perspective on things Fiona, I learn so much by looking at your shots.

As for the abstinence, we have a lot of fundraising activities down here, like Movember (men grow a moustache and shave it off for charity) and Ocsober (to stay off alcohol for the month of October again to raise money for charity, get sponsors, that type of thing). Well because the Grand Final in the footy was 1 October, one of the head people running Ocsober broke it on the first day and was seen publically drinking. tsk tsk!

I say if you can take a picture as pretty as those 4 wineglasses clinking, then you deserve to drink it. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan