Mum

June 26, 2011

I love my mother intensely, when I was little I thought she was the most perfect person on earth and today I still think she is the best mother ever. It's a cliché, but I had a kind of perfect childhood where she was always there, giving love unconditionally, sewing my clothes, knitting my jumpers, cooking and baking, spending time with me... a ladybird book kind of childhood with a touch of Enid Blyton thrown in for good measure. It's not that as a family we had a lot of material wealth, in fact the opposite was probably true but I certainly got bucket loads of love and encouragement and as I grew up to adulthood I found that more than just loving my Mum because she was my Mum I liked her as well, she's just great company and a lot of fun, always has been. Today Mr K and I went to visit and take her out for lunch. Mum's favourite place at the moment is a garden centre which has sprung up outside the town she lives in; Dobbies has become THE place to hang out and spend money, these places have very little to do with gardens and lots to do with food and stuffed toys and ornaments and scented candles and things that you really don't want to possess but feel compelled to buy! We had lunch then Mum and I had a good look round at all the stuff on sale from the Deli goods to stuffed hedgehogs. I was nearly seduced by the stripy pasta but as Mr K has an aversion to impulse buying I managed to control myself and only purchased some new oil for the diffuser in the hall - Asian Mango smells now greet visitors to the K household.




One of the reasons I held back with the impulse buying was that Mum had already given me a present of two bottles for oil and vinegar purchased from the shopping channel QVC. These are special bottles in as much as you fill them with the oil and then you can pump the oil up into the top container so that you can accurately measure one tablespoonful etc. This worries me a lot. QVC is a bit like internet shopping for pensioners without the computer, it's there to lure the over eighties into buying things they shouldn't, so easy my mum tells me - just a phone call, and the people are so nice. Luckily the purchases have been small things so far, a cheese slate and the bottles and a candle, Oh no, I forgot about the special stacking boxes for the microwave which would create a perfect meal in one go - and then Mum had to buy a new microwave so the boxes would fit. This lady is eighty six this year and still sharp as a tack so she patiently listened as I made her promise not to buy the Elemis products on sale at a marked down price today on QVC. Of course I won't she said. I forgot to pick up my scarf when we left and ran back to her flat to pick it up -  television was on and guess what - Elemis  is a wonderful bargain on QVC today...

1 comment:

Carol said...

Striped pasta! I've never seen such a thing. How incredible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan